White Star Line

Titanic memorials

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Titanic Memorials

For a time Belfast was one of the most important centres of shipbuilding in the world.  Shipbuilding reached its height in Belfast prior to the First World War, with 25,000 people employed in shipbuilding across Belfast producing 8% of world shipping output. Harland & Wolff, Belfast's biggest shipyard, employed 15,000 people at the time. Between 1909 and 1912 3,000 workers at the yard toiled to produce the Titanic for the White Star Line.

Industrial shipbuilding began in Belfast in 1791 when Scottish shipbuilder William Ritchie set up a shipyard in Belfast. In 1847 the shipbuilders Robert Hickson & Company were established on Queens Island. Hickson retired in 1859, whereupon the yard was purchased by Managing Director Edward James Harland and his business partner Gustav Schwabe. By 1880 the Workman & Clarke shipyard had opened in North Belfast. Within two decade they had taken over the shipbuilders of Mcilwaine & Coll, established in 1885.

Harland and Schwabe were joined by Gustav Wolff in January 1862, with the yard taking the name Harland & Wolff.Their most successful business relationship was with the White Star Line, with the shipyard building 76% of the line's vessels between 1871 and 1930. They continued building ships until the beginning of the 1960s. However, the company's fortunes had been in slow decline, despite the short-term booms in shipbuilding provided by post-war rebuilding of worldwide shipping fleets following the First and Second World Wars.

The last liner launched by Harland & Wolff was the was the Royal Mail Line MV Arlanza in 1960, while at the same time the yard was fitting out of the P&O liner SS Canberra; a task completed by 1961. In total, the yard had produced some 1,750 vessels during a century of continuous shipbuilding. The company continued building bulk carriers and tankers, but with declining fortunes in shipbuilding the yard produced its final ship MV Anvil Point in 2003.

Today, across Belfast there are many important sites associated with the story of the building of the Titanic and other vessels of the White Star Line. Alongside these are many memorials unveiled in the city following the disaster dedicated to the passengers and crew of the Titanic.

List of memorials

Use the map controls to locate and view all the memorials listed in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

  1. Thompson Graving Dock
    NI Science Park, Queen's Road
  2. Titanic slipway memorials
    Queen's Road, Queen's Island
  3. "Titanica"
    1 Olympic Way, Queens Road
  4. Harland & Wolff Offices
    2 Queen's Road, Queen's Island
  5. Nomadic Belfast
    Hamilton Dock, Queen's Road
  6. "Kit"
    The Arc Apartments, Titanic Quarter
  7. Titanic Yardmen 401
    Nr St Patricks Walk, Newtownards Road
  8. Titanic workers tablet
    Harland and Wolff Welders Football and Social Club, 18-20 Dee Street
  9. Edward Harland Statue
    Belfast City Hall
  10. Belfast men memorial
    Belfast City Hall
  11. Lord Pirrie Memorial Plinth
    Belfast City Hall
  12. "Dunallan" Windsor Avenue
    20 Windsor Avenue

Help with using the memorial map

Memorials are shown on the map and listed in order northern-most memorials first, listed east to west, southern-most memorials last. Pan the map left, right, up and down using your mouse cursor or touch device; click or touch the zoom controls to narrow and widen your search area. Click or touch to select any of the markers to learn more about each Titanic memorial. Sites close to each other may have their markers clustered together, so increase the zoom to see each individual map marker.